Grace Baptist Church was formally organized on March 4, 1956, but its roots go back to the late 1940’s. Seymour Johnson War Housing Project permitted a group of people to use its community building in which to hold their church services. This group later became known as Johnson Homes Community Church. P.D. Buck, founder of this church, worked on a mail train during the week, and served as their pastor. As the attendance grew, they were also given permission to use vacant apartments nearby as Sunday school rooms.

In 1955, they began meeting at Seymour Funeral home, and later rented a store building on Wayne Memorial Drive for their services. It was at this time that they organized and chartered the church as “Grace Missionary Baptist Church” and called Mr. Buck as their pastor. Several years later, Brother Buck felt a full-time pastor was needed and the church called Hyman Vann as their pastor. Rev. Buck continued to teach Sunday School classes for some time.

Later, the church purchased land on Royall Avenue and soon started work on a building. The women worked during the day, getting things ready, and the men worked in the evening after their regular jobs, and soon the church was finished. Over the years several additions were added to that first building, not the least of which is our present auditorium, which was constructed over 45 years ago. The original auditorium now serves as our fellowship hall. A Sunday School/administration wing was later added.

Pastor James Frasher has led Grace Baptist Church for the past five years, following eight other godly men who have led this assembly over the past fifty years. All have been used of God as He graciously blessed Grace Baptist Church. Should the Lord tarry, the prayer and desire of our present assembly is that we should continue to be as faithful and unfaltering in His service as those who preceded us.